Out of stock
Selenite Rod Crystal
Size: 7 ” long x 2 1/4 ”
Price: $ 8
Note: This specimen is known as Satin Spar.Many gift items can be made from this mineral as you see by the smaller pictures .
What is Selenite ?
satin spar, desert rose, and gypsum flower are four varieties of the mineral gypsum; all four varieties show obvious crystalline structure. The four “crystalline” varieties of gypsum are sometimes grouped together and called selenite.
- All varieties of gypsum, including selenite and alabaster, are composed of calcium sulfate dihydrate (meaning has two molecules of water), with the chemical formula CaSO4·2H2O. Selenite contains no significant selenium; the similarity of names comes from both substances being named from the Ancient Greek word for the Moon.most often transparent and colorless: it is named after Greek σεληνη= “the moon“.
- if selenite crystals show translucency, opacity, and/or color, it is caused by the presence of other minerals including druse (a coating of small crystal points)
- druse is the crust of tiny, minute, or micro crystals that form or fuse either within or upon the surface of a rock vug, geode, or another crystal
- most often silky, fibrous, and translucent (pearly, milky); can exhibit some coloration
- the satin spar name can also be applied to fibrous calcite (a related calcium mineral) – calcite is a harder mineral – and feels greasier, waxier, or oilier to the touch.This Specimen shaped into a Sphere or egg when angled to a light source will show off a streak similar to Moonstone.or a Cat’s Eye .
|Dimensions||2 × 2 × 2 in|